Monday, January 11, 2016

he simply left this planet to go back to his own

i woke up this morning to the news that David Bowie was dead. to say it caught me off guard would be a understatement. with the release of the new album and the videos, i never knew anything was wrong. of course, i wasn't supposed to know. to find out it was cancer that killed him pisses me off even more. i've watched that disease take so many of my family and people that have inspired what little creativity i have... it's fucking infuriating. this won't be my usual Monday blog. this will be more of a drown the sorrows with some brilliant music.

i knew i had a poem with David Bowie's name in the title and it was published somewhere. after some digging, i found it. i will share it with you now. "a david bowie afterworld" was first published in Fox Chase Review in the Summer of 2011.

a david bowie afterworld

sometimes i'll close
my eyes and imagine
i'm in a david bowie
afterworld

but all the vibrant colors
of ziggy have faded to
a sulky gray

nothingness chokes the
air as i sense a sense of
fear grabbing my throat

and the struggle for air
is nothing compared to
my struggle to think
i'm relevant

the struggle to believe

the struggle to self-medicate
all the various television
illnesses that clog my brain

and i sadly stumble upon
the notion that i have ended
up in the place where dreams
go to die

and with each drop of alcohol

i grow content in knowing

death can't be far behind
--------------------------------------------------------------------

enjoy the trip David. thank you for your music and every little crazy thing you did to push the buttons of everyone.

and now my favorite song from David Bowie, the song that has been trapped in my head since the first time i heard it as a child

"I don't know where I'm going, but I promise it won't be boring." - David Bowie (January 8, 1947 - January 10, 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment